Image Map

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Twas the Night Before...

Well, today is it! Tomorrow is the first day of school. I am more nervous than ever before. I think there is some truth in the phrase as "ignorance is bliss" in the first few years of teaching. As a new teacher you haven't done this, or really seen others do it, so you don't know what isn't finished or missing. Going into year 4 I have a better understanding (than year 1) about what is needed. YIKES!!!

Friday was one of the most frustrating days I have ever had as a teacher. There weren't even any kids, but I think it would make my top 10 list. Basically, it was frustrating because with the state there are so many new requirements and yet NO ONE knows what to do or what is expected. Take stressed out frantic teachers and add to it overwhelming change, confusion, and uncertainty, that was our day Friday. This has made for a very intense weekend... with still lots of tears and stress.

My teaching partner had to remind me (a few times) that at the end of the day my job is to teach. All the other crap will fall into place and doesn't really matter. What matters is that my kids feel important and learn something. He asked why I became a teacher, I told him because I love it. His response was then to do just do what I love.

One of my good friends could tell at the gym I was stressed. She knows school is about to start and sent me a text that said "How do you eat a whole pumpkin? One bit at a time."
So here we go... Dealing with Monday and Monday only!!!

On a happier note, Thursday was Open House. There were a few logistically issues, but on our end, in 6th grade, it went really well. We had a lot of our students and parents show up. As a team we tried to have our Student Information Cards filled out electronically using Google Docs. There were few technically errors here too, but over all very successful. Out of 96 families, 54 filled out the form and we got some amazing information about our kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment